Thursday, May 31, 2007

Gardening Instead




Haven't been sewing this past week but have taken some photos of the garden. My sister designed and planted it last year in exchange for a quilt. One photo shows the garden as of May 23, 2006, the other photo shows the garden exactly 365 days later. The growth gain in one year is amazing. The only new ones this year are the potted ones.

We've had trouble with something eating the new growth on a few of the plants. We first added a short fence to keep the little critters out; that didn't work. I then set some mouse traps in hopes of scaring them off; I, unfortunately, did get some fur and thought I may have scared them, but alas, that was not the case. Then a neighbor told us about Liquid Fence. I ordered some over the internet but our wonderful neighbor delivered a bottle of it before my order came. I immediately went out and sprayed around the perimeter of the garden. Well, some of the perimeter. Liquid Fence has the most foul odor I have ever had the displeasure of being near, and I was raised on a dairy farm. My husband finished the spraying when he came home. Perhaps we missed a space on the perimeter as a plant was consumed that night. We haven't had visitors now for about two nights so maybe Liquid Fence is working. I'm guessing we'll know in a week or so.

No comments: